Swedish bicycle collector joining!

Hi!

My name is Andreas Bengtsson and i am a bicycle collector from Sweden. Just the other day, while googling i came across this site and was surprised hom many old swedish bicycles you have in Estonia!

I mainly collect swedish bikes from 1900-1940, especially Nymans made bikes (Crescent, Hermes, Drott, Vega and many more) from the 1935-1940 period, because i think that during this period the most beutiful high quality bikes were made.

I would love to hear from you regarding pictures and info, how many swedish brands were sold in Estonia? Are there many preserved? It seems like many of them were equipped with stainless steel fenders and rims, or in some cases chromed ones. This were pretty rare i Sweden, the standard types were painted.

Would be nice if you can write in english, when translating this forum via Google, it just dont make very good sense..
I´ll attach pics of some of my bikes, hope to hear from some of you soon!

Regards Andreas Bengtsson, Vice president of the Cycle Historic Club of Sweden. (www.cykelhistoriska.se)

Manustatud failid Pisipilt (pisipildid)

Vasta

Välkommen!
It´s very good to have "our man in Sweden". Yes, we have a lot of swedish bicycles in Estonia, mostly ca 1935 - 39 and we offen have questions - but no answers.
Mainly we have Husqvarna, Vega, Crescent, Hermes, Monark, Wiklund (estonian army used Wiklunds bicycles in 1930 -s).

Regards, Priit Kasikov
Vasta

Good to hear from you, Priit! If you have any questions regarding Swedish bikes, dont hesitate to ask me. I will try to help you the best i can. however, there is lot of unsolved mysteries due to low interest in bicycles and bicycle history. Do you have any swedish bikes?
Vasta

(19-02-2012, 14:21 PM)andybee Kirjutas:  It seems like many of them were equipped with stainless steel fenders and rims, or in some cases chromed ones. This were pretty rare i Sweden, the standard types were painted.

Yes, Estonia was a poor country, but estonians were proud people. If they already had to pay for a bicycle the same money as for a cow, they found some extra kronors for the nickel/chrome - plated rims and mudguards (not stainless, only spokes and only on swedish bicycles were stainless) as well. And the bicycles had to be black as the Volga - cars some 30 years later. The estonian had to buy the shine bicycle, because his friend, relative and neigbour already had that kind of bicycles. And when the estonians already had the shine bicycles the latvians started to make for themselves all - over nickel - plated (except tyres and saddles) bicycles. Wink
The same thing was with german bicycles, estonians liked them "shöne und net", not with painted rims and mudguards, but in some reason with "fulst" rims and tyres.

(19-02-2012, 22:12 PM)andybee Kirjutas:  Good to hear from you, Priit! If you have any questions regarding Swedish bikes, dont hesitate to ask me. I will try to help you the best i can. however, there is lot of unsolved mysteries due to low interest in bicycles and bicycle history. Do you have any swedish bikes?

Good to hear about You, too! Yes, I have some swedish bikes (at least one ladys Husqvarna and some frames), but i am not a collector. We have in Estonia only one collector - Valdo Praust. And there is one problem - estonians, as a primitiv nation, are afraid of talking and showing about their bicycles. They think that if they do this things then You can take their souls.
Almoust all that we know and have about swedish bikes are in this forum.
We true have a lot of swedish bikes, but mostly they are not in good condition and complete.
About the low interest and unsolved mysteries - we have the same things in Estonia! Sad

Vasta

actually, at least when its nymans made bicycles, the rims and mudguards were 304 stainless steel! it was optional on some brands, some didnt offer them according to
catalogues, but sometimes you see them anyway. on hermes and crescent there were also offered every shiny part except hubs and chainwheel made of 304 stainless steel. the green crescent Ladies bike from 1937 that i posted a picture of have this option. so every screw, the handlebar, the saddlepost and so is stainless!
Vasta

(19-02-2012, 23:37 PM)andybee Kirjutas:  actually, at least when its nymans made bicycles, the rims and mudguards were 304 stainless steel! it was optional on some brands, some didnt offer them according to
catalogues, but sometimes you see them anyway. on hermes and crescent there were also offered every shiny part except hubs and chainwheel made of 304 stainless steel. the green crescent Ladies bike from 1937 that i posted a picture of have this option. so every screw, the handlebar, the saddlepost and so is stainless!

Haven´t seen this things in Estonia. Heard once in this forum about stainless mudguards (not swedish bike) and I said - it can´t be! May - be I was wrong, may - be not. Haven´t seen myself yet. And the rims were for "fulst" tyres as i said, in the last years (1939 - 40) were some bikes with wire - tyres (635 mm) too.

Hermes 1939
http://vvm.vanatehnika.ee/?p=187
Vasta

Okey, the first question.
Do You know something about the Wiklunds army bicycles? I read that they were in Swedish Army too before the Husqvarnas and Monarks?
Wiklunds bicicles were the main bikes in Estonian Army (EW KV) ca 1928 - 40, but we haven´t any complete ones survived. There were at least 2 types of Wiklunds (different first - wheel brakes), we think they were painted green and have nickel or chrome plated parts.
We have topic in this forum
http://forum.automoto.ee/showthread.php?tid=30224
a lot of off - topic there, but some original fotos from this time too.
And do You have some info about the Wiklunds frame numbers and production years?
Tack så mycket!
Vasta

Hello Andreas

Im realy happy that you find our old bicycle foorum! I have allso Wiklund bicycle question!
I want to restore a Swedish woman's pre-war bicycle, Wiklunds model Vesta. The bicycle is probably from 1924-1930. The reason why I write is that I tying to find bicycle chain protection. In Estonia it’s not possible to find such chain protection... I think that most likely it’s possible to find a bicycle chain protection in Sweden…The bicycle chain protection looks like in your picture what you post on this topic begining. In short ... if you manage to find the bike chain protection or any other information about this bicycle model, I would be very grateful!

My woman's bicycle “Wiklunds Vesta” topic is here: http://forum.automoto.ee/showthread.php?tid=37527
Thanks a lot !
Heigo Mõlder

Korralik palkmaja www.kodutalu.ee
Vasta

(19-02-2012, 23:22 PM)kass Kirjutas:  
(19-02-2012, 14:21 PM)andybee Kirjutas:  It seems like many of them were equipped with stainless steel fenders and rims, or in some cases chromed ones. This were pretty rare i Sweden, the standard types were painted.

Yes, Estonia was a poor country, but estonians were proud people. If they already had to pay for a bicycle the same money as for a cow, they found some extra kronors for the nickel/chrome - plated rims and mudguards (not stainless, only spokes and only on swedish bicycles were stainless) as well. And the bicycles had to be black as the Volga - cars some 30 years later. The estonian had to buy the shine bicycle, because his friend, relative and neigbour already had that kind of bicycles. And when the estonians already had the shine bicycles the latvians started to make for themselves all - over nickel - plated (except tyres and saddles) bicycles. Wink
The same thing was with german bicycles, estonians liked them "shöne und net", not with painted rims and mudguards, but in some reason with "fulst" rims and tyres.

(19-02-2012, 22:12 PM)andybee Kirjutas:  Good to hear from you, Priit! If you have any questions regarding Swedish bikes, dont hesitate to ask me. I will try to help you the best i can. however, there is lot of unsolved mysteries due to low interest in bicycles and bicycle history. Do you have any swedish bikes?

Good to hear about You, too! Yes, I have some swedish bikes (at least one ladys Husqvarna and some frames), but i am not a collector. We have in Estonia only one collector - Valdo Praust. And there is one problem - estonians, as a primitiv nation, are afraid of talking and showing about their bicycles. They think that if they do this things then You can take their souls.
Almoust all that we know and have about swedish bikes are in this forum.
We true have a lot of swedish bikes, but mostly they are not in good condition and complete.
About the low interest and unsolved mysteries - we have the same things in Estonia! Sad
Hello Kass, look at Valdo ´39 Crescent, it´s stainless steel in mudguards and rims, im sure. Despite Nymans high production during these years, 14-15000 a month, very few bikes remains, so it´s nice to see more of them in other countries than sweden.
(20-02-2012, 09:52 AM)kass Kirjutas:  Okey, the first question.
Do You know something about the Wiklunds army bicycles? I read that they were in Swedish Army too before the Husqvarnas and Monarks?
Wiklunds bicicles were the main bikes in Estonian Army (EW KV) ca 1928 - 40, but we haven´t any complete ones survived. There were at least 2 types of Wiklunds (different first - wheel brakes), we think they were painted green and have nickel or chrome plated parts.
We have topic in this forum
http://forum.automoto.ee/showthread.php?tid=30224
a lot of off - topic there, but some original fotos from this time too.
And do You have some info about the Wiklunds frame numbers and production years?
Tack så mycket!
Regarding military bikes: i don´t know so much about them, im not in to this types, i prefer standard bikesSmile. What i do know is that Wiklund started making military bikes in the year 1900. I have catalogues from 1899,1909,1914, 1915, 1917, 1930, 1935, 1936 and 1939, some of the eraly ones show military bikes. The chainwheel whith the letters "AWMV" (Anton Wiklunds Maskin Verkstad) was introduced 1912.
I can try to get more info about them, soon it will be our annual meeting in the board of the swedish historic bike club, i can check around there.
Regarding frame no, to my knowledge there is no preserved registrer, only Husqvarna has one. But my Vesta made in around 1915 has frame no 101358. Since Wiklunds were an early and large maker, i guess you can look at Husqvarnas production an estimate a similar production rate.

(20-02-2012, 15:51 PM)Heiks Kirjutas:  Hello Andreas

Im realy happy that you find our old bicycle foorum! I have allso Wiklund bicycle question!
I want to restore a Swedish woman's pre-war bicycle, Wiklunds model Vesta. The bicycle is probably from 1924-1930. The reason why I write is that I tying to find bicycle chain protection. In Estonia it’s not possible to find such chain protection... I think that most likely it’s possible to find a bicycle chain protection in Sweden…The bicycle chain protection looks like in your picture what you post on this topic begining. In short ... if you manage to find the bike chain protection or any other information about this bicycle model, I would be very grateful!

My woman's bicycle “Wiklunds Vesta” topic is here: http://forum.automoto.ee/showthread.php?tid=37527
Thanks a lot !
Heigo Mõlder
Hi Heigo, i guess you pinpointed the bike quite right since the Banco hub was made between 1924-35. Regarding the vesta chainguard, im not sure if your bike originally had the type that my Vesta is equipped with, it very thick cast aluminium, later on they were pressed thin aluminium in a other pattern. In my 1930 catalogue there is the pressed thin aluminium with circles and the name "vega". This one i believe to be the right type, my guess is that your bike is from around 1930. I will check my stuff or ask around, i will probably find one, but it can take long time.
Vasta

(20-02-2012, 20:41 PM)andybee Kirjutas:  Hello Kass, look at Valdo ´39 Crescent, it´s stainless steel in mudguards and rims, im sure. Despite Nymans high production during these years, 14-15000 a month, very few bikes remains, so it´s nice to see more of them in other countries than sweden.

No, I don´t think so! They are chrome - plated. I repeat - no stainless rims and mudguards and any tubes on swedish bikes in Estonia. (I haven´t seen and heard).
But thanks for Your answer!

Vasta

(20-02-2012, 22:26 PM)kass Kirjutas:  
(20-02-2012, 20:41 PM)andybee Kirjutas:  Hello Kass, look at Valdo ´39 Crescent, it´s stainless steel in mudguards and rims, im sure. Despite Nymans high production during these years, 14-15000 a month, very few bikes remains, so it´s nice to see more of them in other countries than sweden.

No, I don´t think so! They are chrome - plated. I repeat - no stainless rims and mudguards and any tubes on swedish bikes in Estonia. (I haven´t seen and heard).
But thanks for Your answer!
Are you really sure? they are scratched, but without rust.... i know nymans made stainless steel ones, but i never heard of cromed ones. look at the vega ladies bike that i answered questions about before, this are surely nickel or chrome plated. but i will be happy do be proven wrong Smile

Vasta

(20-02-2012, 22:33 PM)andybee Kirjutas:  Hello Kass, look at Valdo ´39 Crescent, it´s stainless steel in mudguards and rims, im sure. Despite Nymans high production during these years, 14-15000 a month, very few bikes remains, so it´s nice to see more of them in other countries than sweden.

I have collected vintage bicycles almost for 27 years. As far I know, then Swedish internal market bicycles are usually made using painted rims and mudguards. But a lot of these bicycles which were made for export to Estonia are made using chromed rims and mudguards. I have almost 300 bicycles and up to 25-30 of them are made in Sweden (only some of them are in good order and/or restored).

All of these bicycles have the rims-mudguards made by prdinary steel but they are chromed. I have 2 such Crescents, 2 Vegas, at least 6 Husqvarna, 1 Hermes and 3 Monarks. I suppose that the parties that were made for Estonia is assembled and made in a specific way.

Of course there were soem Swedish bicycles from 1930s here in Estonia which have painted mudguards and rims but their' amount (among all Swedish bicycles) was about 10-20%, no more. And even these bicycles have made specially for Estonia, because Swedish inner market bicycles have usually rims for ordinary tyres 635 mm, but for Estonia all bicycles were equipped with 28" rims for beaded edges tires. Until early 1940s (until WWII) the usual bicycle tire standard in Estonia was beaded edges 28".

Valdo

Eesti Jalgrattamuuseumi  looja ja eestvedaja
Tutvustame jalgratta ajalugu Eesti vaates, väljas on üle 170 muuseumiväärtusega ratta
Asume Kesk-Eestis Väätsal Pikk 9.
Vasta

(20-02-2012, 23:01 PM)valdo Kirjutas:  
(20-02-2012, 22:33 PM)andybee Kirjutas:  Hello Kass, look at Valdo ´39 Crescent, it´s stainless steel in mudguards and rims, im sure. Despite Nymans high production during these years, 14-15000 a month, very few bikes remains, so it´s nice to see more of them in other countries than sweden.

I have collected vintage bicycles almost for 27 years. As far I know, then Swedish internal market bicycles are usually made using painted rims and mudguards. But a lot of these bicycles which were made for export to Estonia are made using chromed rims and mudguards. I have almost 300 bicycles and up to 25-30 of them are made in Sweden (only some of them are in good order and/or restored).

All of these bicycles have the rims-mudguards made by prdinary steel but they are chromed. I have 2 such Crescents, 2 Vegas, at least 6 Husqvarna, 1 Hermes and 3 Monarks. I suppose that the parties that were made for Estonia is assembled and made in a specific way.

Of course there were soem Swedish bicycles from 1930s here in Estonia which have painted mudguards and rims but their' amount (among all Swedish bicycles) was about 10-20%, no more. And even these bicycles have made specially for Estonia, because Swedish inner market bicycles have usually rims for ordinary tyres 635 mm, but for Estonia all bicycles were equipped with 28" rims for beaded edges tires. Until early 1940s (until WWII) the usual bicycle tire standard in Estonia was beaded edges 28". ok, i believe you, i guess this was as you said probably export versions. Good to learn something new! valdo, i would appreciate if you could give me the frame no and year of the torpedo hub of you nyman made bikes and i will give you the same in order to help each other date bikes. during the summer of 1937 no 1000000 was made! wonder where this bike are now....Smile

Vasta

(20-02-2012, 23:39 PM)andybee Kirjutas:  Good to learn something new! valdo, i would appreciate if you could give me the frame no and year of the torpedo hub of you nyman made bikes and i will give you the same in order to help each other date bikes. during the summer of 1937 no 1000000 was made! wonder where this bike are now....Smile

I give you information you need about my bicycles, including frame no's etc. If you go to Estonia somewhen you can see them - the restored bicycles (about 60-65) are exhibited in my 2 personal exhibitions in Palmse and Väätsa manors (we do not have physical Estonian Bicycle Museum yet...).

But can you wait some weeks - now I have a little busy period in my life and I must to do some urgent works...

Valdo

Eesti Jalgrattamuuseumi  looja ja eestvedaja
Tutvustame jalgratta ajalugu Eesti vaates, väljas on üle 170 muuseumiväärtusega ratta
Asume Kesk-Eestis Väätsal Pikk 9.
Vasta

(20-02-2012, 23:45 PM)valdo Kirjutas:  
(20-02-2012, 23:39 PM)andybee Kirjutas:  Good to learn something new! valdo, i would appreciate if you could give me the frame no and year of the torpedo hub of you nyman made bikes and i will give you the same in order to help each other date bikes. during the summer of 1937 no 1000000 was made! wonder where this bike are now....Smile

I give you information you need about my bicycles, including frame no's etc. If you go to Estonia somewhen you can see them - the restored bicycles (about 60-65) are exhibited in my 2 personal exhibitions in Palmse and Väätsa manors (we do not have physical Estonian Bicycle Museum yet...).

But can you wait some weeks - now I have a little busy period in my life and I must to do some urgent works...

no hurry! im working on my list where i collected warranty certifikate, frame no, bikes from internet and collector collegues. soon it will be good enough to send to you.

Vasta

Yes, Valdo is always busy, sometimes just a little more busy... And he is a good promisor too, but his memory is working strangely, i hope to "export" it will work good! Toungue
But we have some more people here too , who are interested in this information about swedish bikes, not only Valdo! (However they haven´t some 300 bikes in their collections and they haven´t collect them 27 years, but they have some info too and they are not so busy all the time Toungue ).

But okey, the second question.
What is the Cycle Historic Club of Sweden and what do You do and how do You act? Smile
Tack så mycket!

Vasta

(21-02-2012, 22:24 PM)kass Kirjutas:  Yes, Valdo is always busy, sometimes just a little more busy... And he is a good promisor too, but his memory is working strangely, i hope to "export" it will work good! Toungue
But we have some more people here too , who are interested in this information about swedish bikes, not only Valdo! (However they haven´t some 300 bikes in their collections and they haven´t collect them 27 years, but they have some info too and they are not so busy all the time Toungue ).

But okey, the second question.
What is the Cycle Historic Club of Sweden and what do You do and how do You act? Smile
Tack så mycket!
Hi! The club was founded in 1997 by bicycle enthusiats who wanted a club to meet others with the same interest. We have meetings, hosts rallies and tours, we join up with our bikes in different kind of veteran arrangements, we visit museums and so on.
Some of ones are more inerested in race bikes, some of us like ordinary old bikes without any gears, but the common factor is that we love old bikes or technical or historicly interesting ones. In may i will host a ca 30 km long ride in the northern parts on the landscape Skåne, in the south of sweden. We will ride our old bikes and visit a nearby castle and then look at my collection abnd discuss bicycles all day long!
Vasta

(21-02-2012, 22:54 PM)andybee Kirjutas:  Hi! The club was founded in 1997 by bicycle enthusiats who wanted a club to meet others with the same interest. We have meetings, hosts rallies and tours, we join up with our bikes in different kind of veteran arrangements, we visit museums and so on.
Some of ones are more inerested in race bikes, some of us like ordinary old bikes without any gears, but the common factor is that we love old bikes or technical or historicly interesting ones. In may i will host a ca 30 km long ride in the northern parts on the landscape Skåne, in the south of sweden. We will ride our old bikes and visit a nearby castle and then look at my collection abnd discuss bicycles all day long!

Hallå och tack!
I have tasted some Skåne Aquavit, not bad! Wink
But can You tell something more exactly, how often Yuo usually act, how many members do You have and so on? We here are looking for our own format in Estonia, what to do and how to act. And we do it under the leading of Valdo! Unfortunately the may is very busy month for us, anyway we wuold like to look, what do you do exactly "in the northern parts on the landscape Skåne" May-be some other time?

Lycka till! Cool

Vasta

(21-02-2012, 22:54 PM)andybee Kirjutas:  In may i will host a ca 30 km long ride in the northern parts on the landscape Skåne

Hej!
De är ingenting om det i kalendern på din hemsidan.
Är det offentlig evenemang eller endast för klubbmedlemar?
Vasta

(21-02-2012, 23:16 PM)kass Kirjutas:  But can You tell something more exactly, how often Yuo usually act, how many members do You have and so on? We here are looking for our own format in Estonia, what to do and how to act. And we do it under the leading of Valdo!

So, I have read already this

CHF, Cycle Historic Förening (Club)

Established in 1997. Formed by enthusiasts for older bicycles, from the pre high wheelers period to contemporary objects of special interest.

Close to 300 members all over Sweden, some in the neighbouring Scandinavian countries.

Annual Cycle historic day and jumbles in a small scale within other technique historic events.

Member publication is the 28 pages magazine VELOCIPEDEN 4 tms/yr. Contains articles and ads from older magazines, reportages from national and international bicycle events, themes as penny farthings, transport bicycles, manufacturers history, brands history, restoration guide lines. Frequent pages as: buy/sell, new members with collections, meetings, our own club arrangements or others we take part in such as exhibitions, cultural events, movies etc.

Members list with present collection and interest distributed annually.

(22-02-2012, 00:43 AM)oldmoped Kirjutas:  
(21-02-2012, 22:54 PM)andybee Kirjutas:  In may i will host a ca 30 km long ride in the northern parts on the landscape Skåne

Hej!
De är ingenting om det i kalendern på din hemsidan.
Är det offentlig evenemang eller endast för klubbmedlemar?

Yes, there are nothing about it in Your calender? By the way, Your site (http://www.cykelhistoriska.se) is very good, the best that we can find about swedish bikes, but it is not good enough! Haven´t seen any progress there, do the things go on?

Vasta

Kasutaja, kes vaatavad seda teemat: 1 külali(st)ne